Your table is ready...

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Dark and Stormy

No, not the weather...although it is White and Snowy out there today. A random 4-8 inches of the icy powder on March 2. To think Spring is just 19 days away. But back to Dark and Stormy.

I love rum. People who know me, know this. I collect rum. I drink rum. I smell rum. I have even thought about making the stuff(Apparently it is still illegal though.) My nickname is The Captain. No, I don't own a boat. Nor have I ever. So you do the math.
When the Captain and I aren't hanging out I like to venture into different cocktails and types of rum other than his spiced Puerto Rican gem.
The Bermudians make this terrific rum called Black Seal. It is distilled by Gosling's. I believe it is the national rum of Bermuda. To make a Dark and Stormy, take a cocktail glass; fill with ice; fill about 1/3 with Black Seal and top with ginger beer. Now, not ginger ale mind you. Ginger beer. Ginger ale is the sweet knockoff of true ginger beer. The drink totally loses its feel with ginger ale.
Now, where do you find ginger beer do you ask? Good luck. I have been having the same problem here in NYC finding a good ginger beer anywhere.

Soooo, i have decided to brew my own. Here in the office in fact. The fermentation should be complete by this afternoon and the final batch by tomorrow morning. (Don't worry, i am not brewing "beer" in the office, though the thought has crossed my mind, since the sugar and yeast I am using really don't produce any significant amount of alcohol. Merely some flavorful carbonation.)

Stay tuned for the results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home